Hey friends! I really appreciate all of you guys getting mad on my behalf, and all your help in dealing with the matter!
However, I think it's probably best for all of us to move on and work on making more new and interesting works. The important work has been done- we've informed anyone who cares about my art that these knockoffs are not my work and that their quality is not what I guarantee.
• I have made a few reports, however I can't sue the sellers on Amazon or eBay. I don't own Toothless, and while I believe that my design is art and has value in and of itself, there are no laws to protect it when the subject matter is owned by someone else [ especially in China ]
• I have talked with the owner or the original copied necklace [ it was actually a sculpt of the very first Toothless I ever made, and is different from the ones I make today ] and it has never fallen into anyone else's hands [ he even sent me a picture ]. The copy was made from nothing but pictures I posted on the internet.
• I am not going to be able to stop the sale of these mass produced copies. All I can do is inform customers who care about art and quality that the copy is different from my own work.
• I have spoken with the Amazon seller. They have simultaneously admitted to copying my work and refused. [ Apparently the act of googling a picture and copying it just doesn't even register to them ]
Here is the reply I was sent:
I am so sorry to hear that.
But we design the item from the picture that we search from google and yahoo,not copy your item.
After we got picture online, our professional designer will design it according to the picture.
We use stamping process to make it, but your item is 3D, our item is not 3D.
But we don't know why our design is the same as yours.
Our designer also has other design, he is a super artist, you can see from the attachments.
And,our designer also have many special design, like appa, bmo, you can see from our shop.
If you want to make your item, we can help you,and we can cooperate to help you reduce the product cost.
Looking forward to your reply.
All the best"
They also included this picture v
Which somehow counts as proof they made it themselves in magical chinese copyright land XD
• No, I will not take them up on their offer to mass produce my other work. Even if I had money to gain, I would be betraying my fundamental principal that I run by business by- providing unique and creative art to customers who want something handmade.
So I consider this mess to be wrapped up, at least as wrapped up as it's going to be. They aren't really taking money from my pocket as I'm still selling my necklaces as fast as I can make them. My work is about quality, and it will stay that way.
However, the many hours I've spent messaging about this issue and journaling about it, plus making my customers aware through other mediums has taken money out of my pocket- this is time I should be working and making new items.
So, with that I'm going to shut it down and hopefully get back to my regular work.
I have to worry about this damn vanished UPS order anyway :/
[ use the code 'JOSMYFRIEND' and save 10% ]